About CranioSacral Therapy
Offering In-Office or Remote Appointments
The History of CranioSacral Therapy
CranioSacral Therapy, an offshoot of Cranial Osteopathic Medicine, is a system of natural healing first put forth by Dr. Andrew T. Still in 1874.
A student of Dr. Still’s, Dr. William Sutherland, developed additional techniques, and in his work, Dr. Sutherland observed that the health of the CranioSacral System was based in healthy mobility of the cranial bones and dural membranes (layers of membranes a/k/a meninges) in the head and along the spinal column.
In the 1960’s, Dr. John Upledger, while assisting in a neurosurgery, noticed that the dural membranes had their own intrinsic rhythm, separate of all other bodily rhythms. This began Dr. Upledger’s life-
What Is CranioSacral Therapy
Based in Osteopathic Medicine, CranioSacral Therapy emphasizes the integral relationship between structure and function of the body, and recognizes the body’s ability to heal itself.
Two basic principles in CranioSacral Therapy
1. Our body functions as an integrated whole, where the structure and function are interrelated.
2. Our body has self-
Of particular importance in CranioSacral Therapy are the subtle motions and mobility in all the body tissues, which are essential to maintaining the health and function of the entire body. Disturbances or restrictions to these subtle motions can adversely impact the body, with a wide variety of symptoms arising, including neurologic, sensory/motor, orthopedic, organ, musculoskeletal, cognitive, and behavioral.
In CranioSacral Therapy, these subtle motions and processes can be perceived through palpation and monitoring of core rhythms in the body, and worked with therapeutically, to support the body’s dynamic healing processes, thereby facilitating health & healing through more optimal functioning and communication throughout your body.
The Benefits of CranioSacral Therapy
The body is an amazing creation that is designed to heal itself. CranioSacral Therapy the body as a whole dynamic unit, wherein structure and function are interrelated and inseparable. The body is a self-
For example, when we cut our finger, we don’t have to tell the blood to clot and the wound to heal.
As one system is restored to balance, the other systems come into balance as well.
Who can benefit from CranioSacral Therapy:
- People who are looking for natural alternatives to prescription drugs or surgery.
- People who have tried prescription drugs or surgery without achieving their desired outcome.
- People who want to avoid the side effects of prescription drugs.
- People who want to complement western medicine with an effective alternative that will support the body’s natural healing abilities.
CranioSacral Therapy Has Been Clinically Shown To
- Alleviate a wide variety of illness, pain, and dysfunction
- Provide a deep state of relaxation, and better transitioning from “go-
go- go” mode during the day to “sleep” mode at night
- Reduce the effects of stress on your body, while enhancing overall health and well-
- Increase your body’s abilities for self-
healing, resulting in faster recovery from accidents, trauma, and injuries
- Relieve past trauma (emotional & physical), strengthening your body’s ability to take better care of you
- Enhance your ability to cope with life changes and stressful or challenging periods during life
- Increase movement and flexibility in your body, while reducing pain & stiffness
- Strengthen your body’s resistance to disease
- Improve your focus, as well as creative and problem-
- Release the source (cause) of the problem(s) rather than chasing or masking symptoms.
- Migraines & Headaches
- Chronic Neck, Back, and Shoulder Pain
- Sensory Impairments (Visual, Hearing, Taste, Smell, Touch)
- Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Chronic Fatigue
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Nervous System Disorders
- Emotional Difficulties
- Cognitive & Behavioral Difficulties
- TMJ Dysfunction
- Learning Disabilities
- Orthopedic Problems
- Organ Imbalances
- Hormonal Imbalances
- and many more